Welcome to my January business planning and goal-setting post. One of the truths that I've come to believe is that you can write your life into existence! As a part of my goals this year, I'm writing a monthly post to share my action plan for my online business. My thought process behind this is two-fold. First, it's a way to hold myself accountable. Second, I think that by sharing my monthly planning strategies, successes, and failures it will help inspire creativity in the solopreneurs who read Teach & Flourish.
Before we get to the details, I'd like you to know a few truths about me…
- I'm an idea generating machine! Over the past decade, I've come up with more business ideas than I can count. These ideas have ranged from purses with solar-powered charging units for mobile phones to virtual wedding planning services.
- I'm a professional daydreamer. I love to sit quietly with a cup of coffee and my journal or even in a steamy hot shower and daydream about all the possibilities that are out there for this life of mine.
- I absolutely believe in the power of the mind to manifest the things you want in this life, and that if I put myself in creation mode rather than competition mode I can help more people in this world, while also attracting what I want for my life.
So basically, I'm an idea-generating, positive thinking daydreamer who wants to make an impact on this world.
The only problem with this is that simultaneously I'm also terrible at consistency and execution!
In order to become a better solopreneur, I had to get more organized in my life and business. That meant actually sitting down (regularly) to do some business planning and goal-setting. I started my goal setting adventure at the end of 2014 when I started using Leonie Dawson's Shining Life and Biz Planners. Her planner literally helped to change my life and I fell in love with the art of writing out goals..
Now, I won't bore you with a bunch of statistics, but it comes down to this:
People who create written goals (and regularly revisit those goals) are more likely to find success in the things they want to accomplish.
I'm a busy mom of twin boys. I'm a writer and book publisher. I run this website teaching lovelies like you what I know about starting an online business. If I didn't take the time to create written goals and action plans, I'd be a CRAZY PERSON–Literally out of my mind from disorganization and overwhelm.
This year, I've decided to take my business planning and goal-setting one step further by sharing my goals and business planning strategies here on my website once per month.
For now, these posts will not include income goals, but I will do my best to share my growth strategies and give updates on my progress in hopes of inspiring all of you and showing you that it's okay for your online business to be a work in progress (because that's definitely what my business is right now).
Here are my January Business Goals and Strategic Ideas:
- Create and publish 5 blog posts (one every Tuesday). I have this idea to post every Tuesday and call it my “Teachable Tuesday” blog post. I feel like if I make it a fun theme I'm more likely to keep up with it.
- Grow my email list by 100-200 people & communicate with my readers more consistently. Back in 2015, I made the switch from using MailChimp to using ConvertKit as my email marketing platform. ConvertKit is really a great tool for building your email list because it simplifies the process. My current email list for Teach & Flourish has been hovering around 500 subscribers for a while. This year I want consistent growth for my list–I plan to do this by creating and sharing great content upgrades and lead magnets that are free of charge and marketing those pieces of content on Pinterest and Facebook. Additionally, I'm also owning up to the fact that I need to do a better job of keeping in contact with my readers more consistently.
- Create new book covers for 2 of my current e-books and create print versions for both. I've been lolly-gagging on this one for a while now, but it's time for me to make it happen. Physical copies of my existing books have been selling MUCH better than my ebook version. I still have several books that I have not created a print version for, as well as multiple books that do not have an audio version. But to keep from getting overwhelmed, this month I will focus on the book covers for just two and aim to get those published in print form by the end of the month.
- Create 1-2 new tutorial videos for my favorite business tools. Part of my strategic plan for income growth includes promoting the business tool that I already use in my own business and making affiliate income from these tools. Clearly, I'm partial to video tutorials, so this month my goal is to create 1-2 new (free) video tutorials showing readers how I use the tools in my own business.
- Grow my Pinterest traffic to my website. This business goal contains multiple strategies:
- Design 1-2 pinnable images for each blog post In November, I got serious about using Pinterest to put more of my content out to the world and bring more content to my website. I went from 44 Pinterest followers to over 1000 Pinterest followers in a little over a month using the bonus strategy outlined in Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. Another strategy I picked up is to create at least 2 pinnable images per blog post. This way I'm sharing my content using multiple visual aids and I can see which one is more popular.
- Schedule 40-50 pins per day to Pinterest Boards using Tailwind. Again, part of my strategy in using Pinterest is to use a super cool app called Tailwind to schedule my pins on Pinterest 4-5 days in advance. Pinterest, like Google and Amazon and any other search engine, uses algorithms to decide which pins get more views in the”Realm of Pinterest”. The more consistently I'm able to pin and share content throughout the day, them more exposure my pins will receive. However, ain't nobody got time (love this saying) to be on Pinterest a million times a day pinning manually. Tailwind allows me to schedule hundreds of pins at a time.
- Join 2-3 large group boards on Pinterest. Again, I learned so much about Pinterest from the bonus resource included in Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. Group boards are a great way to share content from other bloggers and online entrepreneurs while sharing your own content to a larger audience.
Here are my Personal and Professional Development Goals:
- Keep my business working hours to 20 hours or less per week. One of the perks of being able to work for yourself from home is setting your own hours and being responsible for your own work-life balance. Thus far, I don't really feel like I've done a good job in this department as I find myself on my computer at all times of the DAY and NIGHT working on my business. This year I'd like to limit my business hours so that I have more leisure time to read books and do more activities with my kids.
- Read one self-help/mindset related book. Since I've been a mom, it's been much harder to relax and enjoy reading a good book. It's been easier to listen to books on audio rather than reading from the book myself. But by decreasing my business hours, I should have more time to read (or listen) to books while my kiddos are in school. Reading is one of the few delights I've kept since childhood and I'm excited to get back to it!
- Prepare for Elite Blog Academy by completing any pre-assignments. In December, I invested in myself and my business by signing up for the early bird enrollment of Elite Blog Academy. This program is run by a seven-figure online business owner named Ruth, and she's teaching the nitty gritty of running a profitable blog. The program doesn't start until February, but I'm uber excited about this program and I've already started with her pre-assignments! I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with the program throughout the year.
So there you have it folks–my business goals for this month! I'm uber excited about what this year has in store for me! I can't wait to share my results with you next month.
What about you? What are your business/blog goals for this month? Leave me a comment and share!